Thursday, August 30, 2012

One Becomes Two and So On.....

I really had never been a fan of Lithops, but I bought a group of three last year. One died, so I was left with two, now one has developed into two plants so I'm back to three. The new thing that has helped me is that I learned the watering system for them. Since the plant is made up of so much fluid, you must be careful and not water like other succulents or cactus. When the Lithop is developing into a new plant it is receiving its moisture from the old leaves and no watering should be done, otherwise they will rot.


One of the old leaves is that little shriveled reddish piece on the right at the base of the plant in the photograph below, at one time it was about the size of the new plant. But no water was given during this time.

Still add one or two to your collection, you might surprise yourself and be able to grow them. To find out more information about Lithops check out these blogs, Gaia Nursery, Lithopsland, and Lithops Stories


4 comments:

Lithopsland said...

Good looking Lithops! They're very lucky plants. Thank you for the plug. Really like your blog, and will visit again for sure! Best wishes. :)

Steve said...

This is so funny how small the blog world is. I was just about to say "I think I need to get a lithops, I just started getting addicted after reading http://lithopsland.blogspot.com/ and now see your post about new lithops collection" and who do I see commented just before me.. lithopsland :) I also just found your blog and look forward to reading it. About to head over and look at you seed planting posts....

Gaz said...

Lovely looking lithops, looking forward to future updates

Gaz: Alternative Eden

Julie said...

Thankyou for coming to my blog! You are a succulent lover!!!! Beautiful photos!!! I had a really pretty lithops years ago....and you guessed it, it rotted. I may need to try again after seeing yours!